Eczema is a chronic skin disorder (inflammatory condition), which is not uncommon. There is practically no cure for eczema. Several home remedies can help you to get symptomatic relief and make management of eczema easier. Here are home remedies for eczema.
- Identify (if possible) and avoid the triggers that can worsen the inflammation that ultimately lead to flare-ups of eczematous lesions. There are various factors that can worsen inflammation of eczema, such as sweating, rapid change in temperature, stress, tobacco smoke, dry environment etc.
- Moisturize skin, may be by use of moisturizing lotion/cream, preferably immediately after bath, when the skin is still damp. Use moisturizing lotion in the areas where the risk of eczema is high, such as elbows, knees, arms etc. If your skin is dry type, consider using lubricating cream.
- Use humidifier, if indoor environment is dry. In dry indoor environment, the risk of itching and eczema is high. Use a portable humidifier suitable for your room. Do not forget to clean it regularly, so that fungus cannot grow.
- Avoid scratching as far as possible. Keep your nails trimmed and use gloves while sleeping to avoid damaging the skin during sleep, due to scratching.
- Avoid using harsh soaps, detergents etc. and always use milder soaps for bathing. It is important to wash off the soap completely during bathing.
- Avoid using cloths that are harsh on your skin and use comfortable and loose clothing. Avoid woolen cloths, and any synthetic cloths that are not suitable for you. use soft cloths made of pure cotton.
- Use creams containing vitamin E and aloe vera, which can give symptomatic relief. You can also use fresh aloe vera gel from freshly cut leaves of aloe vera plant for this purpose. You can have your own aloe vera plant in a pot.
- Pure coconut oil (if available) is good remedy for symptomatic relief of eczema. Coconut oil can prevent drying of skin and keep the skin moisturized for prolonged period.
- Make small slices of cucumber (preferably organic) and soak the slices for at least two hours. Filter the soaked liquid and apply it over the affected parts of the skin. Prompt symptomatic relief can be obtained by this method.
- Remove skin from 2-3 carrots. Boil them until they are soft and mash them until you get a paste of carrots. Apply the paste over the eczematous lesions for at least 15 minutes and wash it off with cool and clean water.
Use the ten home remedies for eczema, mentioned above and manage your eczema (also known as atopic dermatitis) well.
“Image courtesy of t0zz / FreeDigitalPhotos.net”.