Risk factors for endometriosis include,
- Early menarche (first starting of menstrual period is menarche)
- Early menopause
- If you have no children
- If your menstrual cycle is short, say shorter than 26 or 27 days
- If you are alcoholic or consume alcohol regularly
- If you are thin or you have low BMI (body mass index). This may be the reason that endometriosis is comparative common among well to families, in compare to poor individuals
- If you have family history of endometriosis, e.g. If you have a first degree relative with the disease
- Any anatomical abnormality in uterus may increase risk of endometriosis
- If you have any medical condition that prevent normal/natural outflow of menstrual blood.
- If you have higher estrogen in your body by artificial supplementation or if your body produce excess estrogen
What are the complications of endometriosis?
Complications of endometriosis include infertility and risk of ovarian cancer.
- Infertility among patient of endometriosis: This is the most important complication of endometriosis. In fact many patients are diagnosed to have endometriosis during routine investigation for infertility. Up to 50% of women with endometriosis have problem of infertility and have problem with getting pregnant. For pregnancy to occur, the ovum (egg) has to travel from ovaries to uterus through Fallopian tubes and get fertilized by sperm and than get attached to uterine wall for pregnancy to continue. And in case of endometriosis, it may block the Fallopian tubes and prevent meeting of ovum with sperm and prevent pregnancy. There may be other indirect modes of preventing pregnancy in endometriosis. Women with mild to moderate endometriosis can conceive, however, doctors advice patients with endometriosis to have baby early, because the condition may worsen as time passes.
- Risk of ovarian cancer: the risk of getting ovarian cancer is higher than usual. However, overall risk is relatively low and nor alarming at all. Hence, this increased risk of ovarian cancer among endometriosis patients, has to be looked into properly before coming to a conclusion.
Image courtesy of [dream designs] at FreeDigitalPhotos.net