Every women will reach menopause as they age, as it is a biological natural process in a life of a woman. However, not all women suffer from symptoms of menopause and some women may not develop any symptoms at all. If you are experiencing some symptoms of menopause and you may not want to get medical help (for any reason), you can try some home remedies and lifestyle changes, that may be helpful in relieving symptoms. Some helpful home remedies and lifestyle changes are,
- If you suffer from menopausal hot flashes, drink a glass of cold water or go to a place that is cooler. Some women have triggers for hot flashes and if you have one, try to pinpoint it and avoid it. Common triggers include, alcohol, caffeine, hot beverages, hot weather, spicy foods, stress etc. If your trigger is any one of these, avoid it.
- Adequate sleep is important to prevent/reduce symptoms of menopause, such as hot flash. Avoid beverages (excess alcohol, caffeine) that may disturb your sleep. Exercise during morning or daytime and do not exercise before bedtime, as this may disturb your sleep.
- Vaginal dryness is common after menopause. Decrease vaginal discomfort by using vaginal lubricants, moisturizers etc. Avoid using products that do not suit you.
- Kegel exercise can help strengthen your pelvic floor muscles and help you to prevent/reduce urinary symptoms.
- Learn relaxation techniques. Anxiety is a common problem during menopause. You can learn various relaxation techniques online and use what suits you best and help you relax.
- If you are a smoker, quit smoking. Smoking can lead to earlier menopause and if you are already in menopause, it may increase hot flashes. Smoking also has other health problems that we all are aware.
- Eat well balanced diet, this is helpful in menopause as well as for overall general health and well-being. Include lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains in your diet. Restrict saturated fats and sugars.
- Exercise regularly. Studies have shown that regular physical exercise help in improving mood along with fitness level. Exercise help in secretion of mood enhancing hormones such as dopamine and improve well-being. Exercise is also required for various medical conditions related to aging such as osteoporosis, heart diseases, diabetes etc.
It is clear that some lifestyle modification and easily available home remedies can be of great use in management of menopause and its symptoms.
Image courtesy of [satit_srihin] at FreeDigitalPhotos.net