Rheumatoid arthritis or RA is fairly common health problem among elderly individuals. Your adults are not immune to RA, although incidence is much lower, compare to elderly individuals. RA patients suffer from flare-ups, which are very painful, despite presence of number of medications to treat RA. Although there are number of medications available for treatment of RA, the outcome is still not satisfactory. Despite continued medications, flare-ups may occur and cripple the individuals during this time. Fortunately, there are ways that can help prevent/reduce flare ups and also prevent pain.
Following ways can help reduce pain and flare ups and one must do these things to avoid RA flare ups:
Protect your joints:
RA patients should always take measures to protect joints, even during symptom free period. Small things can help protect your joints such as holding books or other objects with your palm, instead of your fingers. Do not lift heavy objects, instead slide it. Instead of pushing open a door with your hand, use your shoulder. These small measures can help protect your joints.
Start doing exercise:
Regular exercise is important to keep your joints functional and keeping joint pain at bay. Exercise can also help elevate your mood and make you energetic. Consult your doctor before starting exercise to find out what suits you and which are not harmful. Walking, cycling, swimming, light training exercise etc. are useful exercises for RA patients. Start with mild exercise and gradually increase it. Avoid heavy exercise. If your pain persist for more than one hour after exercise, you should know you are overdoing you exercise. Do not exercise when your joints are inflamed and painful. Take a break during exercise if you feel pain. Use alternating position if you are cooking or gardening or doing similar activity. Read more…
Swine flu is pandemic at present. Swine flu, if not treated adequately and promptly may be fatal, hence it is very important to prevent swine flu. Like common flu, swine flu also spread by same mode, through respiratory secretion.
CDC recommends, swine flu vaccine for every person older than 6 months. Vaccination is one of the best way to prevent swine flu. Swine flu virus (H1N1) is commonly part of seasonal flu vaccine in many countries. Hence, seasonal flu vaccine can prevent swine flu along with other respiratory viruses such as influenza virus. Seasonal flu vaccine (along with H1N1 strain) is available as nasal spray or injection. Availability of vaccine as nasal spray makes it easier to administer and one can avoid shot. The nasal spray flu vaccine is approved for use from among healthy people of 2 years of age to 49 years of age, except during pregnancy.
Following measures can help prevent spread of swine flu (as well as seasonal flu):
- Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently, especially after coughing and sneezing and after touching your nose. Use simple soap for washing hands. If soap is not available, you can use hand sanitizer or alcohol based hand gel. Frequent washing of hands is essential, because flu viruses can survive in surface (such as door handle, door knob or any similar surface, where they may be lodged) for two hours or more.
- If you are sick, stay at home. If you or any of your relatives have H1N1 infection, get admitted to hospital without delay for treatment and for prevention of spread of the disease. A H1N1 infected patient can transmit the disease 24 hours before starting symptoms and up to one week after symptoms develop.
While performing everyday tasks, does your shoulder(s) hurt? Do you find it painful and/or difficult to perform simple daily tasks such as bathing, putting on dress or driving? Do you also find it difficult to lie down comfortably due to shoulder pain? Do you find it difficult to raise your arm with ease and comfort? Well, if you have the above mentioned problem/symptoms, there is very high possibility that you are suffering from Frozen Shoulder. If you have any of the above mentioned symptoms, consult your doctor (orthopedic surgeon) immediately and do not ignore the problem.
Frozen shoulder is a common health problem, especially among middle age persons. Although it is common and troublesome health problem, many patients ignore it, thinking that it will go away on its own. Unfortunately, if it is frozen shoulder, there is very little chance, if any, of it going away on its own. Frozen shoulder can bring your life to a standstill, practically. Commonly it affects middle age individuals. Start treatment at initial of your symptoms, because if ignored, later on it may take very long time for recovery from frozen shoulder. Good news is that, with appropriate treatment, frozen shoulder can be treated satisfactorily.
Shoulder joint is a ball-and-socket joint, where head of humerus (the bone of upper arm) is plugged inside a round socket in shoulder bone, known as “capsule”. Sometime the inside wall of the “capsule” become inflamed, which result in it becoming thick. Which cause it to swell and as a result it leaves less room for movement at shoulder joint, which result in pain and difficulty. It makes shoulder joint stiff and movements at joint become restricted and reduced. In medical term frozen shoulder is canned “adhesive capsulitis”. Read more…
Swine flu, technically refers to flu in pigs. However, since spring of 2009, when it was first identified, it is known as swine flu. The disease is like common flu, however it can be occasionally transmitted from pigs to humans, such as farmers and veterinarians. Since August 2010, WHO has declared swine flu a pandemic disease and it is still causing large number of deaths every year.
Swine flu appears during particular season, like any other flu and spread it the same manner as other flu spread. The strain of swine flu is H1N1 (H for glycoprotein hemeagglutinin and N for glycoprotein neuraminidase), which is included along with other flu viruses in seasonal flu vaccine. Swine flu affects respiratory system.
Symptoms of swine flu:
Signs and symptoms of swine flu are similar to other types of flu and include:
- Cough, sneeze, sore throat, runny nose, blocked nose
- Headache, generalized body ache
- Generalized weakness, loss of appetite
- May be diarrhea, nausea and vomiting
The symptoms of swine flu develops few days (two to three days) after getting exposed to the virus and may continue for about a week. If left untreated, swine flu may be fatal, unlike most other common seasonal flu. Read more…
There are many ways of getting a well developed overall body. If we go by the words of Dr. Albert Markov, “The equation that governs the development of the body is simplest yet being most sophisticated at the same time. For a healthier body you need to intake the calories that are more than which are used by your body altogether. This helps you save extra calories which add mass.” Well highlighting the sophisticated part of this equation he said not only the intake of the food in only decisive for a healthier body. There are many internal ingredients needed as well for the development of the body. These ingredients we call growth hormones that appropriate result in the development of the body.
HGH for body growth
The use of the body growth hormones is made by body builders usually. However they are not the only ones who can make use of these supplements. The Human Growth Hormones are suitable for any user who wants a well grown body and want to deal with body growth related ailments. With the increase in the popularity of the HGH supplements and their use now there are many manufacturers who are offering these supplements in the market. This drastic increase in the number of HGH supplements in the market has resulted in the complication to find the best products.
The down side
The problem with the increase in the number of HGH supplements is the increase in competition. This has resulted in increase in competition and to lure the customers manufacturers are introducing all kinds of products. They claim to provide some extra ingredients which make their products way too ahead of others. However they simply suppress the quantity of the core ingredients by doing so which renders their products simply ineffective. You all need to keep away from such products and should always pay attention on the ingredients of the HGH supplement you buy HGH. Read more…
Health Information Tags:
Most of us started smoking when we were young, and before we knew it, it became a habit. Some of us also smoke up to relieve stress.
Did you know that traditional cigarettes and tobacco have thousands of possible carcinogens in them, and their effects have still not been properly studied? Be it cigarette, cigar, hookah or pipe, inhalation of tobacco products involve enormous health risks.
Let’s have a look how specifically it affects the different parts of the body:-
- Respiratory System – Regular smokers are more prone to respiratory infections like emphysema (where air sacs are destroyed), chronic bronchitis (where tubes of the lungs are inflamed) and even COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
The last stage is lung cancer. Respiratory pain and temporary congestion may be caused immediately after withdrawing from tobacco products. In fact, passive smoking children are also exposed to a higher rate pneumonia and bronchitis.
- Cardiovascular System – The entire cardiovascular system can get damaged with regular smoking. Nicotine in large amounts is responsible for restricting blood flow, increasing blood pressure and for atherosclerosis.
- Integumentary System – Skin discoloration, wrinkles, and premature aging are the obvious skin symptoms which occur if you are a regular smoker. As you constantly hold the cigarette, it leaves a yellow stain between the fingers. Also, regular smokers develop brown or yellow stains on their teeth. And even, the smell of cigarette does not go easily from your hair, be for a smoker or for non-smokers who clings round with nonsmokers.
- Digestive System – Oral problems is another threat to regular smokers. Gum inflammation (gingivitis) and gum infection (periodontitis) are the two major problems faced by the smokers. And eventually it causes tooth loss and decay and foul breath. Mouth, throat, larynx, and esophagus, these four organs remain at the deadly risk of cancer and for the high rate smokers, it may even lead to kidney as well as pancreatic cancer.