Seven Tips To Avoid Dust Mite Allergen

Avoidance of allergen (certain things) can reduce symptoms of asthma and other similar diseases were known for hundreds of years. Common house dust is a source of a common allergen dust mite. House dust itself is not generally an allergen, but the dust mite, which thrives and grows on house dust is. It is almost impossible to completely remove house dust from our indoor house environment, hence the aim should be to reduce house dust and dust mite to reduce risk of exposure.

The following tips can help reduce house dust in your house, especially at your bedroom:

  • Cover your mattress, pillows etc. with coverings that are impermeable to dust, but permit water vapor to permeate. Nowadays mattress covers and pillow covers are available which are made of fabric and very comfortable, which impermeable to mite allergens and comfortable to sleep on and permeable to water vapor and air. The concentration of dust mite allergen can reduce to 100 fold by using this covers to your bedroom mattress and pillows. Buying a new mattress may not provide a good and lasting solution, because the new mattress may get re-infested with dust mire within few months from the reservoir present in other furniture of the house such as carpet.
  • Dry your mattresses and pillows in direct sun once in a while, which will reduce dust allergen.
  • Wash all exposed bedding regularly, preferably in warm water.
  • Replace the carpet with wooden flooring or vinyl flooring, which can be easily cleaned.
  • Wash your curtains, sofa, and other soft furniture regularly to keep dust away.
  • Vacuum clean your house extensively. Avoid dusting of furniture, which will release dust in your indoor environment and cause excess exposure and allergic symptoms.
  • Move to a higher altitude place, because in high altitude areas humidity is low, which is not conducive for survival of dust mite and as a result dust mite concentration is low in high altitude areas.

Some measures do not help in reducing dust allergen, which logically seems helpful and include:

  • Use of chemicals (known as acaricides) to kill mites is of no clinical benefit.
  • Air filters and ionizers are also not helpful in reducing dust mire and dust allergen, because dust mites generally do not remain airborne.
  • Use of mechanical ventilation and de-humidifier is generally yield no result, because it is near impossible to reduce humidity in a typical home in temperate and tropical climate and cannot reduce mite population.


Related Posts

Leave a Comment