How to File a Medical Negligence Claim against a Dentist

When you go to the dentist, you expect to get expert care and the outcomes you, or your dental plan, are paying for. However, there are times when things go horribly wrong and not only do you not get the outcome you were expecting but peripheral damages may cause ongoing problems. If you feel the need to register a formal complaint with the General Dental Council or file a medical negligence claim, there are steps to take in order to see to an orderly process geared towards getting you the compensation you deserve.

Before Making a Medical Negligence Claim

While you can immediately contact medical negligence lawyers, you can also lodge a formal complaint with the dentist who you feel was negligent. Sometimes the dentist will agree that the problem was something they did or didn’t do as the case may be, and will agree to compensate you to your satisfaction out of court. Other times, you may need the best medical negligence solicitors to go through the medical negligence claim process with you.

The Medical Negligence Claims UK Process

Whether or not you have filed a formal complaint with your private or NHS dentist, the medical malpractice process follows a set procedure. It is sometimes best to try to settle before contacting a solicitor, but if the complaint is serious enough or if the dentist isn’t willing to work with you, solicitors from companies such as The Medical Negligence Experts can be your liaison between you as the patient and the dentist you are intent on filing a claim against, and can offer free advice on your claim. They will first attempt to get compensation from the dentist, but if all else fails, they will take your case all the way through the courts.

What to Do After Hiring a Solicitor

You will probably be advised to leave everything in the hands of your solicitor. This means let them do the talking for you from this point forward. They will take your case if their independent expert feels you, indeed, have been the victim of medical negligence or malpractice at the hands of a dentist. What you should look for is a solicitor who agrees to represent you on a no win, no fee basis.

This will assure you that they believe in your suit and feel they have a very good chance of getting the compensation due you as a result of negligence. Just remember, once you have contracted a solicitor, let them handle everything for you. Let them do the talking while you sit back and await a favourable outcome.

Key Point to Remember

The thing to remember is that your solicitor knows the laws governing medical malpractice and understands the claims process per NHS procedures if you were treated by an NHS provider. The government is quite specific about the claims process and one small error on your part can be the difference between a favourable outcome on your claim and being denied just compensation. If you feel your dentist, private or NHS is not cooperating as they should, it is recommended that you seek professional counsel and advice.


Image courtesy of patrisyu at

Related Posts

Leave a Comment